Monday, April 28, 2008

Do I wear the orange hat with the green scarf or the blue beret with the gold broach?


Our trip to London is quickly approaching and I must admit my biggest concern (now that the flight and B&B is booked) is what to wear! The last time I traveled over seas it was to Italy and Greece, and lets face it, I had no hopes of fitting in there! Too pale and too low fashion. Everywhere we went it was 'American? I can help you!' Not Canadian, Australian or even British... American. I'm not saying that I'm not 'proud to be an American', but there is something to be said for submersing yourself in a culture and... not sticking out like a sore thumb! Now finally I'm going to a place that pale skin and frizzy hair isn't too abnormal. Finally!
The travel book that Luke picked out suggests bringing all types of clothing (year round). This way, you may dress for the temperature and not be perceived as a rude American, by complaining about it being too hot or too cold. I get it. That's a great idea. But I have this little thing that I like to call 'over-packers disease'. Once I get started I can't stop! Some where deep down I think that I am part boyscout or something. I can't stand not 'being prepared'. I have to have a sweater in summer and short-sleeves in winter. I'll definitely need my dressy jeans and my casual jeans... my skinny pants and my I-had-one-too-pints-at-that-last-pub pants... But where does it end? I also have to take into consideration that I have to get through security/customs twice (each way). Fortunately I don't have a wardrobe entirely comprised of liquids and gels, but still... my blow dryer looks like a weapon! Speaking of which I need to get an outlet converter or else I really will be aiming a deadly weapon at my head...
I really want to go shopping for new things. I want to get a new hair cut. But then again I want to save my money for the trip! What is a girl to do? I may have one idea...

No comments: